Booking now open for 2018 Convention
Booking is now open for the OMRS Annual Convention that will be held on 14th-16th September 2018 at the Nottingham Conference Centre (NCC).
The next Orders & Medals Research Society Convention is to be held on 14 to 16 September 2018 at the Nottingham Conference Centre (NCC), a superb recently refurbished building in the heart of the city. The NCC is a Grade II listed city centre venue owned by Nottingham Trent University which is the business school during term time and a specialist events location for the rest of the year. When the building was fully and imaginatively refurbished seven years ago, the interior was remodelled to create a modern, spacious and flexible event space that includes dedicated lecture theatres.
“We are delighted to be moving to a purpose-designed location which will provide an ideal setting for exhibitions, talks and our Sunday medal fair,” said Air Commodore Graham Pitchfork MBE, President of the Orders & Medals Research Society. “Nottingham itself is in the centre of England with good transport links and plenty of things to do and see should members wish to bring their partners,”
Nottingham 2018 will be the third successive OMRS Convention to be held outside London since the Society decided to move the event away from the capital. The 2016 and 2017 Conventions in Stratford-upon-Avon proved hugely popular with members boosting attendance by more than 30 per cent and substantially increasing the number of exhibitors. However, despite the OMRS' desire to stay in Stratford-upon-Avon for another year, the Society was unable to negotiate acceptable terms to return. We have taken the opportunity of having to move to take Convention to a larger and better venue in another region of the UK.
OMRS members and guests are encouraged to gather and socialize in Nottingham on Friday 14 September. Exhibitions, talks, presentation of prizes and the Convention dinner will take place on Saturday 15 September and the OMRS Medal Fair will be on Sunday 16 September.
Advantages of Nottingham and its Conference Centre:
● The NCC is in the heart of a city which itself is in the centre of England. It is easily accessible by car, has good rail connections and is only 11 miles from East Midlands Airport.
● The NCC has ample space for exhibitors, dedicated lecture theatres for talks, a refreshment area and plenty of room for the OMRS Medal Fair.
●The venue has disabled-friendly access at all entrances and the Convention will take place on one level.
● The NCC has a large loading bay capable of taking numerous vehicles at a time with direct access to the Convention area.
● The NCC has a discounted rate for parking at the nearby Talbot Street car park.
● Nottingham has numerous attractions away from the Convention including the Castle, a network of caves beneath its streets, the Theatre Royal, Nottingham Playhouse and historic houses such as Wollaton Hall and Newstead Abbey, the ancestral home of Lord Byron.
Hotels and Convention HQ
There are five hotels within 250 metres of the NCC covering a range of budgets. Discussions are currently under way to establish a partnership with one of these to become the Convention headquarters. Preferential room rates for Convention attendees form part of these negotiations. Details of the outcome of these discussions will be announced as soon as possible.